Augment your world with Spark AR
Spark AR helps creators imagine, build and share augmented reality experiences that reach the billions of people on Facebook and Instagram.
Whether you’re a beginner, using Spark AR templates and libraries to create your first effect, or an experienced pro, using customizations to build more interactive experiences — it’s time to put your imagination and creativity to the test.
We invite all creators to make and submit a Spark AR World Effect that helps enrich communities or supports a larger social good.
As always, you’ll have access to the Spark AR creator community, along with instructional tutorials and resources, to help you with your project. Several submissions will be selected to receive cash prizes and Oculus virtual reality headsets, and we’ll also be providing a free swag giveaway* to each team member from an eligible submission.
We can’t wait to see what you create!
* Only while supplies last. 1 gift item (up to 4 max) per eligible Entry. Limit 1 item per Individual regardless of number of Entries. Actual gift items, type, value may vary from descriptions and images. Mode of shipment for delivery within Sponsor’s sole discretion, only to addresses within the Territory, and any customs charges, taxes, fees applicable to item receipt and use is recipient’s responsibility. Sponsor does not guarantee delivery or date of receipt. Void where prohibited by law. Subject to full Contest Official Rules.
** All prizing subject to full Official Rules. Winning Org or Team is responsible for dividing and distributing lump sum cash payouts and all other prizes amongst themselves. Mode of delivery for all prizes, including devices, payments, virtual meeting or call scheduling, etc. is solely at Sponsor’s discretion and subject to availability, shipping restrictions and delays. If advertised prize is unavailable, may be replaced with equivalent prize.
$7,000 in prizes
• $3,000 USD
• At least one 30-minute virtual meeting with a Facebook engineer
• Oculus Quest 64GB VR headset (ARV: $399 USD; 1 per individual, 4 max per Org or Team)
• $2,500 USD
• $1,500 USD
Submitting to this hackathon could earn you:
What to build: Using Spark AR Studio, create a World AR effect for Instagram. World effects layer AR experiences on surfaces, objects and people in your environment, and are viewable using the world-facing camera on your smartphone (not the self-facing camera). We can’t wait to see how you augment your world!
What to submit:
- Demo Video. Your video (hosted on Facebook Video, YouTube, Vimeo, or Youku) should be around 2 minutes, include a demo of your working application via a step-by-step visual demo, and be available in English. Be sure to talk about the Spark AR Studio features you used to build your effect.
- Access. Please submit the Share link to the Instagram Spark AR effect (which includes the effect ID) and link to GitHub containing project file. If your effect is not yet published, share the preview/testing link.
- Complete submission form. All required fields must be completed and submitted on Devpost BEFORE the deadline. Late entries will NOT be accepted.
Strategic Partner Manager, Camera
AR Creator and Digital Marketer
Sean Alfred Blair
Partner Engineer working with Spark AR
Partner Engineering Manager
Quality of the Idea
Includes creativity and originality of the idea.
Potential Strategic Impact
Includes the potential value and usefulness to real-world users.
Implementation of the Idea
Includes how well the idea was executed by the developer, the extent to which the featured Facebook products were incorporated, and the extent to which respect for user privacy was considered or incorporated in the design.